Friday, July 3, 2015

podcast

Well, I have completed my podcast. It is a doozy. What math student who is learning about the quadratic formula wouldn't want to listen to an 11 minute podcast on it and how to use it? Come on! I'll bet you can't find one who would! :-P

I have to say that as I was planning this podcast, I really struggled finding a topic. As a math teacher, I strongly feel that vodcasts (screencasts) are much better suited. I had asked Dr. Ingram if I could do a screencast instead and he said I could, but I really wanted to use my Interwrite Learning pad for it and it is at school. My iPad and my finger (which works better than any stylus) just wouldn't be the same. So, I stuck with the podcast.

I was amazed to find out that with the intro, giving the formula, and working through an example took over 10 minutes. If this were a screencast, it would have been around 7 minutes. With audio only, I felt I had to repeat some things so that the student wouldn't get lost. With a screencast, the student would have been able to pause to catch up and/or rewind much easier than on a podcast. I am sure that podcasts have their place, but I do not feel explaining how to solve math problems is one! Perhaps I could use it to have the students create short podcasts of their own by recording where they find math outside of the classroom or even interviewing family members and neighbors as to where they use math everyday or on the job (shout out to Jodi Robison for that idea!).

Well, if you want to take a listen, here it is. *warning* there is some BAD singing on it.


References:


Roberts, D. (2015). Quadratic Formula - MathBitsNotebook(A1 - CCSS Math). Retrieved July 3, 2015.

3 comments:

  1. Nicely done Holly. As a science teacher that still uses some math I enjoyed listening to your podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your podcast. I teach math too and was struggling as well. I did something similar to you with math in the real world. I use vodcasts all the time by the way. I agree they are much better suited for math but i guess podcasts can be helpful sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete